Tuesday, March 18, 2008

a scare

So this morning I had quite a scare -- however looking back it's helped me to look at my life differently.

For the past two days, I've had chest pain. I've been woken up in the middle of the night with searing pain and cold sweats. I thought it was heart burn (I've never had it before, so wasn't sure) but I looked up symptoms on the internet anyway. Well, I thought I was having a heart attack. But let's face it, I'm 23, I work out (at least think about it), eat ok, am at a healthy weight, etc., I had all the odds in favor of nothing -- except maybe hypochondria.

But I went to the ER anyway. Waking my poor husband up, we trekked to the hospital at 4 a.m. But the good thing is, is that this is Provo and there was no one there. We got right in.

Forty five minutes, an EKG and a Rite Aid visit later, I'm headed out with Prednisone and Loritab and a diagnosis for pleurisy (an inflammation of the chest walls). Hallelujah! I'm not going to die!

So, my ridiculous scare turned out to be nothing serious, duh, and now I'm home and loopy. However, I am looking at my life better ... like maybe putting that Oatmeal Creme Pie down and turning to real oatmeal.

5 comments:

LJ said...

Remember how Stephanie's roommate got pleurisy from a gap in the venting in their condo? And remember how pleurisy is an 19th-century pioneer disease?

Molly said...

I ran into your blog from Eevi's. I'm glad you're blogging! And I'm terribly glad you're going to live, after all!

Ana Yacubic said...

geez girl! I am so glad it wasn't something serious! the worst thing is going to the hospital in the first place, you run the risk of leaving with an even uglier germ you came in with :/

be said...

Way to not have a heart attack. I don't know anything about pleurisy, but I think it's amazing that you've never had heart-burn. You need to eat more Beto's.

Lauren said...

I never had heart burn either, until I was pregnant. That last trimester I learned very thoroughly what heart burn feels like. Be glad you have yet to experience it...be very glad.